replacing 4" cast iron vent tube?

Users who are viewing this thread

andy_g

Reaction score
hi all,
i'm renovating a bathroom in an old (1910) house, and would like some advice on a vent tube repair. this is the first repair on my first house, so go easy on me... :confused:

The main vent stack comes through the wall right next to the toilet, has an elbow above the ceiling level, takes a 2 foot run and then there's another elbow up through the roof. Evidently, the horizontal run rusted through and the ...ahem... individual who repaired it, did so with some aluminum A/C duct, some hose clamps (the second elbow is split length-wise) and a whole lot of plumber's dope. I plan to repair all this with 4" ABS, but I need to interface with the iron somewhere. The elbows have leaded connections (i think) and the one coming off the main stack seems fine. I think I can chisel the old pipe out of it, but is there any way to get the ABS sealed in the ID of the fitting? The alternative, I think, is to pull out more of the wall, cut the stack below the elbow and put a vertical section of ABS with a Fernco coupling, then do the rest in ABS?

An unrelated issue is the soil stack. The flange was cracked, so i removed it, but I believe i read somewhere that the pipe has to come up to the level of the top of the toilet flange? Is that right, or can the iron soil pipe sit below the surface of the flange? I haven't 'gone shopping' yet, so forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question...

Thanks in advance!
-Andy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks