Replacement Tub Questions

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by dz63, May 31, 2006.

1. dz63

dz63 New Member

My in-laws have a steel tub that is rusting on the side skirt. I have offered to replace the tub with a new one. Took some measurements tonight and discovered that the distance between the two walls at the front and rear of the tub measures 58 3/4" plus or minus 1/4". This is from surface of the plaster on one wall to the surface of the plaster on the other wall, measured outside the immediate tub area.

Three questions:

1) Can I pick any standard tub at HD to fit into this space or does this sound like a non-standard tub length to you?

2) They asked me for my opinion on an acrylic tub vs. Steel tub to prevent rusting in the future. I like the idea of acrylic, but really don't know which to recommend. Anybody have an opinion on this. Pros & cons?

3) They would prefer a "deep" tub over a "shallow" one. Does this complicate things or reduce our options? Anything else I should be aware of before I buy?

If you have an opinion on any of the above, I would really like to hear from you.

Don
  2. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

1. A standard 5' tub will fit. You will most likely need to replumb the drain.

2. Acrylic won't rust, but t doesn't retain heat like a cast iron tub. Steel tubs don't retan heat well either.

3. How close to the existing tub is the toilet. The new tub cannot come closer than 15" from the apron to the center of the toilet. Generally speaking a "deep" tub will als be wider, unless you are only talking about 1 or 2 inches

If they plan on taking baths then cast iron is the best. It lasts a lifetime and holds heat better than other materials. Can be laborsome setting cast iron though, a 5' tub weighs about 350 lbs.
  3. dz63

dz63 New Member

Winslow - thanks for your quick responses. Re-plumbing the drain is no problem - basement below is unfinished. The toilet is very close to the tub now - my guess is 15" or less. I will have to take some more measurements. What is the reason for 15"?
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The plumbing code wants 15" as the minimum so you have room to sit there and not rub up against the walls. When you make changes, the inspector usually will require the new stuff to meet the current codes.