Replacement Flapper for Toto Ultramax

Users who are viewing this thread

RetroGameroom

Reaction score
I have three Toto Ultramax toilets and new that they are two years old they all have a similar problem with the flapper leaking. They look as though may have distorted over time and they actually appear too small now. Because of this I am very hesitant to purchase an actual Toto flapper.

Is there a Flapper anyone recommends for the Toto Ultramax?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
A couple of years is about right, especially if you are using an in-tank toilet cleaner or your municipality puts a fair amount of chlorine in the water. Flapper longevity depends upon a multitude of factors. Toto has experimented with a couple of different flapper materials, some of which are more resistant to chlorine and others less so. The Korky "Fits Toto" Red flapper is made of Chlorazone and comes with a 5-year warranty. They will happily send you a new one if it fails before then. It's the one we typically recommend if it fits your particular toilet. In your case it does.

The Ultramax and the Ultramax II use the same flapper. Just replace it with a Korky Red "Fits Toto" Flapper like this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-3-in-Toilet-Tank-Flapper-for-Toto-G-Max-2021CM/202666003 Check the inventory feature to see if your local store has it or which one has it. Or you can order it from them online. Model 2021. The blue one will dispense too much water. Also available at Ace and many fine stores. If you can't find one of these, use the Korky Large Adjustable 3" Flapper, Model 3060, and adjust its flush to your toilet. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-3-in-Adjustable-Toilet-Tank-Flapper-3060CM/202183799

Last edited:

marc5

Reaction score
The flapper in my 8-year-old Toto Ultramax (CST853S) began to leak one time in every four flushes. The left side (away from the hinges) was collapsing into the flush valve. According to the sticker under the lid, the replacement part would be THU175S. Apparently this has been discontinued. I called Toto for guidance, and they told me the new replacement was a THU499S or a 2023BP, identical flappers, both made by Korky. I ordered the 2023BP online, adjusted it according to the instructions......and it leaks like a sieve. It seems to fit well against the flush valve, so it must be leaking through the seam in the two-part construction. Who comes up with these designs?? I put the original back in--at least I get 3 out of 4 good seals.

Now what--no way am I putting another one of these "universal" two-piece flappers back in. Is there a one-piece unit that will fit my toilet?

Thanks!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Everything I said in the second post in this thread is applicable to you. Today, we would call your round Ultramax an MS853113S. It takes the Korky Model 2021 flapper. No adjustment required.

I have to say, though, that you must be very unlucky, because I haven't had this problem at all with the numerous Korky replacement flappers, including the "universal" ones. The 2021 has the traditional rubber "ears" rather than the plastic clippy things on the newer 2023.

You can get it online, Home Depot Online, Walmart online and a million other places.

k2-_9fbc8286-ecf1-4d5c-ac38-f86803612b28.v1.jpg-3d5c8a289d90f27f88e43196668cec613eda2557-webp-450x450.webp

I would check your chain adjustment as well; it should have at least one link sitting on top of the flapper when the trip lever is at rest. Too tight a chain is a common cause of a little water draining from the tank, as is too much chain when the chain gets caught under the lip of the flapper.

Last edited by a moderator:

marc5

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. 5 stars to you for identifying the flapper that I needed. I called Korky to report the bad flapper, which I had ordered online. They sent me at no charge the 2021. It works just fine, although it doesn't seem to let quite as much water through as the original part. The 2-part "universal" flapper was defective but Korky made it right. Why Toto is pushing the universal part instead of the 2021 I do not understand.

korky-2021.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks