Replacement Compressor or Rebuilt Kit For Culligan Super S Iron Filter

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by MikefromMi, Mar 28, 2014.

1. MikefromMi

MikefromMi New Member

Hello,
    I'm having an extremely hard time finding anything on a replacement or rebuild kit for the compressor. Culligan Int'l #L4446-52 / Model # 415AA30-998D. When the compressor cycles I'm getting nothing. Inspecting the piston - it looks as if the cup once had a piece of paper or mica around it which is now torn in a section. The motor spins up fine and I cleaned all of the deposits off everything. But the water is just standing in the tube when it cycles. I blew through the check and duck bill. No problem. Also the duck bill is considerably harder to blow through than the check if anyone cares to comment that it's normal. Thanks for any help in advance, Mike IMG_20140315_160946.jpg
  2. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

I think that uses a Reed Valve.

http://www.google.com/patents/US4275999

That may be what you see that is torn.

You may be able to make a new valve using a good quality Heavy Laminating Film or something similar.

Good Luck on your project.
  3. MikefromMi

MikefromMi New Member

Hi,
    Last night I pulled the compressor off and took it apart. See the "ring" around the piston that is torn. Looks like Mica paper. I'm wondering if the top is screwed on to hold the piece in place. Yes, there is a reed on the piston head that closes as it pushes air toward the hole in the head. The head on the back side has a reed to stop the air from coming back when the piston is pulling away from the head. Both appear to be stainless. Don't see any issues there. I believe I get "blow-by" around the "ring" or "cup" as I've seen it in several part manuals that are similar to this compressor. IMG_20140401_173844.jpg IMG_20140401_173937.jpg IMG_20140401_174049.jpg
  4. MikefromMi

MikefromMi New Member

OK,
    Well I'm getting no where with this thing. I have an extra 1 gal pancake compressor. I'm going to hook it up and set it at 60psi and see what happens. I can by a new one at HF for 60 bucks. Drop a line if this seems like an issue. It is oil-less.
  5. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

For $60 it may be best to replace it.

I could not even see what you were talking about (Mica paper ?) on the pictures you posted, can you get a closer shot ?

It does look like it has reed valves, and the valve looks bent. It may not be sealing.

Them pumps are very simple, but I have never worked on that exact model.

You may be able to make it work, by turning the valve over. Normally they set flat against the surface, In the resting position.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24140&d=1396440939

Good Luck.
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
  6. mightymoose

mightymoose New Member

Are you still working on this?
    I recently replaced my compressor. I found an exact replacement without going through Culligan. It was still pricey but half the cost Culligan wanted.
    You want to find the AC version of the Thomas 405aa38.

I sent you a private message with contact info for where you can get a new compressor if you want one.