Replace or repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Tfield98

Reaction score
Our basement bath's ejector pump started tripping its GFI power. It was a DIY project done by someone else 35 years ago, but the pump itself is only 2 years old.

It turns out the large container wall (not the pump well) has a hole that allowed rock and dirt to tumble into the basin (maybe because of shifting soil due to heavy rains this winter?). The cover for the small pump well itself had been cracked for years, so the rock and dirt got into the pump well, jamming the pump.

The first estimate we got here in Seattle was for $14,000 for complete replacement of tank, pump, and re-plumbing to code up to the cast iron (minus concrete work). I was a bit shocked. Is that a reasonable cost?

I'm considering patching the thin-wall plastic ourselves. We'd use 2 thin pieces of sheet metal wrapped around the outside and inside of the basin, sandwiching the plastic hole, with bolts, nuts, and washers holding them.

In my 20's, I'd have done this DIY in a second, broke and confident as I was. But now, in almost 70 and not broke anymore, I'm not so keen on the project, not the least of which is because it involves a risk because of digging and working under the concrete topper. And of course, working around sewage sucks anyway.

I think I've just talked myself out of the DIY approach! :D Any comments?

What should I be asking the plumbers coming out this week to give estimates? I know costs vary by region, but what should I expect this to cost? Does anyone know a good company here in Seattle that does this kind of work?

Attachments

• IMG951590.jpg
    IMG951590.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 129

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
In this case I would get 3 estimates and compare apples to apples

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks