Repeat Failures - Delta type P shower/tub cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

seldomright

Reaction score
Installed a Delta Multichoice valve body with type P cartridge 1.5 years ago during bath renno. Cold water started getting spotty after 10 or 11 months, by 1 year mark no cold at all. Replaced cartridge under warranty (RP46463). Roughly 6 months later same story. I dissassembled cartridge and found balancing spool was stuck, removed and lubed, now working again. House is on well water, so I'm guessing mineral deposits to blame? (though spool appeared clean? some mild discoloration on housing where spool fits). Existing woven spool filter type sediment filter, admittedly I dont change it often enough, but wondering if that is sufficient even if I do change regularly?
Thoughts? Reccomendations on better filter system w/o going $$$ crazy?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never heard of this problem. Is this the only plumbing issue you have?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I've never heard of this problem. Is this the only plumbing issue you have?
About 10-12 years ago, Moen has the same issue just that it was the hot side. When I got a replacement cartridge, the fail one looked like SS, the replacement had a black coating on the temperature spool. The Moen cartridge if shaken you will hear a rattle, a bad one won’t. I took the bad one and dropped it. The spool unjammed and it then rattled.

I changed five of them with the problem. My home, both of my son’s houses and two friends.

seldomright

Reaction score
About 10-12 years ago, Moen has the same issue just that it was the hot side. When I got a replacement cartridge, the fail one looked like SS, the replacement had a black coating on the temperature spool. The Moen cartridge if shaken you will hear a rattle, a bad one won’t. I took the bad one and dropped it. The spool unjammed and it then rattled.

I changed five of them with the problem. My home, both of my son’s houses and two friends.
Sigh. The Moen 1222 cartridges from what I understand are extremely similar to the Delta type P. Dropping/tapping the unit to break the spool free might be a good hack, will try it next time rather than disassembling entire unit. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks