Repairing Screw Hole in ABS

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by nsblue, Jan 20, 2008.

1. nsblue

nsblue New Member

OK, I'm dumb. There I admitted it but I assume that some one else has done it as well. I put a gyprock screw into a 2" ABS drain pipe in a wall. Is there an easy way to repair this? The hole is just below a fitting and I don't believe there is enough space to put a joiner fitting. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Dean
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Open the wall up a little, get some Rectorseal epoxy putty.

Others will recommend cutting out the fitting and replacing it all. Sometimes I say " you gotta do what you gotta do". That epoxy putty should hold the life of the building.
  3. TMB9862

TMB9862 New Member

The correct method is to cut it out and replace it. If the pipe is horizontal I'd worry the epoxy may fail someday. If it's vertical defiantly stick some epoxy on it and you'll never have to worry about it. In any case clean the pipe well before applying the epoxy, hitting the area just a little bit with some 300 or so grit sandpaper would help it stick.
  4. nsblue

nsblue New Member

Thank you both. The pipe is vertical so I will go with the epoxy.
  5. gardner

gardner DIY Senior Member

Cut a 1 inch by 1 inch or slightly larger patch from another piece of ABS. Use a piece of the hub from a fitting, or a piece of pipe of the same diameter. You can warm it in boiling water and then use a hose clamp to force it to conform to the O/D of the pipe you will be patching.

Sand the inside of the patch and sand around the hole. Use ABS solvent to solvent-weld the patch in place. Secure with a hose clamp for 24 hours while the solvent weld sets up. The result should be as solid as any ABS joint.
  6. Herk

Herk Plumber

I have my own oddball way of patching this type of hole. I use a woodworker's plug cutter to cut pieces of ABS, the same size as those used to cover screws in wood. Then I use a drill that has the same size as the plug I cut to dress out the hole in the pipe, and glue in the plug. Seems to work. It's a tight fit.
  7. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

I like gardner or Herk's idea.

Could one wrap a very small stainless screw in some teflon tape and screw it in? :)
  8. mikept

mikept DIY Senior Member

It would have to be very short so it didn't cause an obstruction in the pipe if it did even work.
  9. why not Duct Tape???

If you are not going to cut the pipe ,
    install a fernco fitting and do it right,

why not just use about 5 feet of
    duct tape....???

or how about a whole roll of black electrical tape??

as long a s the pipe is dry when you apply the duct tape
    it should last 5 to 10 years......
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  10. mikept

mikept DIY Senior Member

Wouldn't self fusing silicone tape work better than ductape? thats sold as super emergency repair stuff.
  11. [​IMG]

My band-aid kit smokes all the responses in this thread.

I win!
  12. Cass

Cass Plumber

MPM, You're slipping... You forgot about squirting 1/2 a tube of silicone on the pipe B 4 wrapping with duct tape...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2008
  13. Cass....they had already thought of that.....

Having my morning coffe.....

I think that they had already come up with epoxy and silicone...

Of course they could do the silicone, then wrap it with the
    electrical tape......

then for good measure put that SS band clamp over the
    whole thing and tighten it down
  14. Cass

Cass Plumber

Yes, the SS band will do the trick.
  15. mikept

mikept DIY Senior Member

Hey, y’all prepare yourself For the Rubberband man
  16. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

How can you do this without cutting the pipe? Cut the fernco?
  17. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

No you can't cut the fernco! It will leak!
  18. mikept

mikept DIY Senior Member

Not if you ductape it back together;)
  19. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

hole

take a smooth interior repair coupling and cut it lengthwise slightly off center. Use the larger of the two pieces. Coat the interior with ABS cement, and also the area around the hole. "Snap" the 1/2 coupling over the hole and it will secure itself and seal the damage. No clamps, no rubber, no epoxy, and no eventual failure.
  20. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Cut it in the same manner that this picture of a PVC slip coupling shows.

[​IMG]