Repair Older Nibco S-29 Gate Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

tim hammond

Reaction score
Hi, just happened upon this site, has some great advice. Anyway I have an older Nibco Gate Valve, no packing nut. I will try to post a picture. It's the main water shut off valve inside my condo. Whenever I turn it just a little bit it starts to slowly drip, eventually will stop from just below the blue handle. I'm worried about trying to turn it off or mess around with it. But we need to shut off the water to replace a cartridge in the bathtub. I was told that I could turn the handle all the way to the off position and then tighten the nut below the handle gently and that would most likely stop the leak. (It's not a packing nut). It's on the bottom of the stem connected to the valve body. Does this sound accurate? Any other ideas, or does this sound like the best advice? Thank you.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tim hammond

Reaction score
Please make some effort to search around the forums here, there are plenty of answers and solutions for this, so we don't have to keep repeating answers that are easily found.

You can find your solution here:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/is-this-my-main-shutoff-valve.63648/

Thank you for the reply, I read that whole post and I didn't really see the answer I needed. I have looked around a bit at other posts, it seems that most of these have packing nuts, and the valve I have does not, I think I saw that it was called flat top. I was told that I could first close the hand wheel all the way and then gently turn the hex nut (not sure of the actual name) just a little and it should stop any leaks? Also I was unsure of what to do in case I am unable to get the water to turn off after twisting the hand wheel all the way clockwise.

Reach4

Reaction score
Also I was unsure of what to do in case I am unable to get the water to turn off after twisting the hand wheel all the way clockwise.
You will then have that valve replaced with a ball valve.

tim hammond

Reaction score
This looks a lot like it to me. You may need to replace the stem o-ring:

http://www.nibco.com/resources/ProductSubmittalDocs/TS29PV.pdf

Thanks again everyone for the replies, if I replace the stem o-ring would that require me to get the main water for the entire condo building shut off? Or could I do that if I am able to shut off the valve and then take the handle off? If you could let me know a little about replacing that stem o-ring I would appreciate it.

Also anyone have an opinion about turning the nut below the handle as well?

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is absolutely NO WAY you are going to turn that nut. it is what keeps the valve together. I have never wasted my time trying to repair an S-29, I replace them.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I woundn't try to fix it either. The water will have to be shut off to work on it, so it would be better, faster and easier to replace the valve when you shut the water off.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Working on or replacing a main shut off in a condo or town home is such a pain, since it involves shutting the water to multiple residences, but this is what you need to do - have management shut the water for you, for a couple of hours on a designated date.

After all this trouble, replacing makes more sense than fixing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks