Repair Kohler Cimarron Flush Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

home repair

Reaction score
Need help on replacing the flat seal #1059291. Instructions say to rotate the stop a quarter turn counterclockwise to unlock, then pull free. Trouble is the stop on my toilet won't rotate, so I can't pull it free. The result is that I can't remove the cylindrical canister to replace the seal on the bottom of the canister.

Any advice?

home repair

Reaction score
I guess this is the first time you have heard of this problem. Well, I found a solution by calling several of the plumbers who work at Home Depot and piecing together the clues. Since I couldn't remove the stop, or even turn it, I found an alternate solution. Here it is:

Turn off water supply to tank and drain the water by flushing; lift the canister with one hand; reach down below the canister with the other hand and grasp the bottom of the guide using thumb and one or two fingers; turn the guide from the bottom 1/4 turn counterclockwise and lift it out with the canister; remove and replace flat seal; reinsert guide into guide hole and turn 1/4 turn clockwise with the stop to reseat; make sure flush handle chain is reattached to canister is it came loose; turn water back on and use your toilet.

We like the Kohler Cimarron because it doesn't get clogged like our old toilet.

Hope this helps someone the next time they have this same problem.

kohler_canister.jpg

canister-seal-yellow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

howardc64

Reaction score
This post was helpful for me to take out the canister to get at the seal. Here is a another pic to show how to canister is held on at the bottom. It is a bit hard to twist this from the top. Thus, lifting the outer cylinder and using the other hand to hold and twist at the base.

IMG_0099.jpg

k-3999_8.jpg

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
Just had to figure out how to change the seal on mother-in-law's Kohler Wellworth. I found this video to be helpful. Took about 2 minutes.... also, I did not have to remove the chain. There is enough slack to turn the cannister over and change out the seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks