Removing push-on stops on hard copper

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rmccolley, Aug 28, 2006.

1. rmccolley

rmccolley New Member

Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove a push-on stop from hard 1/2" copper. This valve is a push-on connection with a push-odd pull-on control with an intergral supply line. The connection to the valve body has started to develop a leak. Ihave tried rotating the valve while pulling on it to no avail. The valve is mounted very close to the wall which precludes cutting it off and replacing with a compression valve without opeing up the wall and replacing some of the pipe.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

This sounds to me like it is soldered on. If that is so, then there are just two ways to remove it. Cut it off or heat the joint to meld the solder.
  3. dubldare

dubldare Plumber/Gasfitter

Pull and rotate harder, they will walk off eventually.

Those stops are something that should've never left the engineers desk.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

stops

If they do not eventually pull off by twisting while pulling them, then I would use a heated tool to melt the plastic so I could remove the barbed ring holding them.