Removing old shower drain

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Kaliban, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Kaliban

Kaliban New Member

I have a little-used shower that needs retiling (the mortar below has gotten loose in spots and is actually sandy around the edges.) The shower is old and probably doesn't have a sloped liner or weep holes in the drain, but since its not often used, I don't want to spend a lot of time or energy fixing it.

I plan to take off all the old tiles and build up the defective floor with a thin layer of concrete to a proper slope. I expect I will have to use something called a drain extender so the new tiles will be flush - I'd appreciate knowing how I can remove the old drain and install the extender.

Thanks

Gabe
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The best place I've found for tiling info is www.johnbridge.com they specialize in tiling. Give them a shot. I think the recommendation, though, will be to tear out at least the floor, galvanized iron pipe is usually a problem, too. It would be a pain to try to fix this up, and have it fail shortly thereafter. They can help with the details...
  3. Kaliban

Kaliban New Member

Thanks jim, I appreciate the advice. Guess I have no other choice but a rebuild - I was hoping to avoid this - the shower is used infrequently, mostly by overnight guests - which is why its lasted this long I suppose.

I'll get to this one AFTER the master bath project is done....thanks again.

Gabe