Removing Galtmaster cartridge

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by colbrown, Dec 9, 2012.

1. colbrown

colbrown New Member

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me. Any advice on how i remove the cartridge for my 3 handle galtmaster bath tub faucets? I am down to the retaining nut (image on the right) and when i remove the nut i can poke the black washer, but how do i remove and replace the cartridge? Also, will the cartridge removal be the same for the diverter?

Thanks,

Col

stuck handle0001.jpg
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Isn't that the diverter that you have taken apart? If there is a "black washer" under the nut, then the stem has to be unscewed to "push" it out. But usually, a faucet stem that looks like yours does NOT have the gasket and unscrewing the unit removes the entire mechanism. I have never heard of a "Galtmaster" faucet, which means it is probably some other brand with the Galtmaster name on it. The handles like like Harcraft, but can also be generic.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Try clearing some gunk away and see it that brass item with the threads for the trim sleeve.....will unscrew.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IT won't. the design of the stem indicates that the hex he shows is where it comes apart.