Removing broken bath drain

Users who are viewing this thread

mandjknight

Reaction score
OK....a week ago I posted a note regarding my issues with getting a new tub drain to seal. That thread is listed here:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5468

I got a lot of great responses and realized that despite the issues I was having with the puddy oozing out, the cause of my leak was the rubber gasket just not being tight enough.

So, I went down and bought a drain wrench and tried sealing up the drain first without using any putty. I got it good and tight and that seemed to do the trick.

Then I figured I ought to loosen it up and put some puddy on it, which I did. I then tightened it down really good.....in fact too good. I was twisting it so hard that I sheared the pieces of the strainer right off. Now I'm in even more of a pickle than I was to begin with! There is only one small stub of the strainer in the drain and that is obviously not enough to get a good hold on it with anything to try and remove the chrome drain.

I want to remove it and start over with a new one because as is, it is just an open hole with no strainer and no ability to plug up the tub without buying some cheap rubber stopper/plug which I don't really want to consider since this is brand new bathroom and house.

Am I totally screwed or is there is some magical tool out there that can help me back this thing out? I have a tool I use for my sprinkling system which is basically a big "EZ-Out" with a tapered reverse-threaded drill but it is only for use on smaller diameter pipe. Is there something similar to this but much larger than I can buy or rent? I'm desperate here because I'm trying to finish off the adjacent bedrooms and can't continue until I have this tub thing resolved.

Here is a picture where you can kind of see the drain with the strainer sections broken out (with exception to one small stub).
February009.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Rigid, Superior Tool, and others make an expanding internal gripper which can be used to tighten. Porbably have to get the tool on line, or at a large plumbing supply house.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I cut them out with a sawzall and fine tooth metal cutting blade, very carefully. It takes about 15-60 min. for most. If you have a basement use a long blade and cut it off flush with the bottom of the tub. If it is a steel tub be careful you don't cut the tub, if it is CI you don't have that problem. If you cut from inside the tub you want to cut at 8:00 , 6:00 and 4:00 and only through the brass and only enough that you can pry up a few peices and break them off then remove the rest.

Last edited: