Remodeling small ensuite bathroom - best layout?

Users who are viewing this thread

Too Ambitious

Reaction score
I'm almost totally gutting my 1st floor ensuite addition. It hasn't been touched since the 1960s. The bathroom is relatively small. I would really like to get both a tub and a walk-in shower in there since: (1) we don't have a tub in the house, and (2) this will be used as a guest suite. My mother-in-law will be staying with us a lot, and she has bad knees.

Here's (roughly) the current layout (forgot to move the door)
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 4.42.46 PM.jpg

The top right room is a closet. My plan is to steal space from the closet for the bathroom (i.e. move the partition wall). I can't move the wall between the bedroom and bathroom/closet because of window placement (not pictured).

Here's the layout I'm leaning towards (the fixtures are just placeholders - not set in stone at all)

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 9.02.24 PM.png
Shower would be fully or partially enclosed (not pictured), and probably a pony wall between the tub and toilet. This tub is 70", which isn't set in stone (just wanted to see if I could fit one). The only thing I don't like about this is there's not a lot of wall space for towel hooks, etc.

Here are some other options that I was playing with:

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 11.14.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 12.43.12 PM.png

Open to other suggestions.

edit: Should also note that this is on the 1st floor above a crawl space and at the end of the main waste branch, so pipe routing is not a huge concern.

Last edited:

Too Ambitious

Reaction score
This is the idea of the preferred layout, except the to the right of the shower would be a wall instead of glass. I like that it allows me to do a curbless shower pan w/ linear drain.

d5f95982cb2f179ee87fea11a2c68de2.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dig it! I like your first layout the best. Incorporating the shower and tub is a good idea, just make 100% that the tile around the tub / shower area is solid and not going to leak. You don't want any water getting under the tub in that spot. Maybe cluster the shower outlet further from the tub.

Glass can have holes drilled in it for robe and towel hooks if you plan for it that way. If you end up with any glass partitions.

totally Nix the angled tub.. total waste of space.

wish you were closer, I have a screaming deal on a 70" drop in tub that we need to offload!

Hightechburrito

Reaction score
Two potential issues I see with the layout in your second post:

1) There's going to be some water splashed outside the area with the sloped floor in the shower, and without a slope it won't go into the drain. You'll need to squeegee it into the sloped area after showering.

2) That slope looks kind of steep. Does your MIL have any mobility issues to the point that it might cause any issues with her balance?

Both of these can be easily addressed if you're not trying to replicate that layout exactly.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't see why it would have as much slope as I see in the pic . I don't get involved in the water proofing or concern myself with it I just set the drain.
but as an owner I'd be wanting to know the details

Too Ambitious

Reaction score
The pic is just an illustration. I would like the slope to be as long and gradual as possible while still getting 1/4" per foot.

I assume also I'd have to slope the tub deck (similar to a shower bench or shelf). I'll have to go over to the tile forum at some point and get advice from them.

My biggest concern is water splashing on the bathroom door, but that's probably where I'd put a piece of glass.

My plan is to fully waterproof the floor.

I came up with a 2nd, more traditional layout that would have a smaller, fully enclosed shower. Feels a little less spacious though. Don't think I can make the shower any wider and still have enough clearance in front of the toilet and vanity.

This is a 66" tub.

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 4.01.46 PM.jpg

Both of these leave the walk-in closet @ 5' wide, which looks like it's the smallest recommended width.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks