Remodeling Bathroom Plumbing Advice Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

natelew

Reaction score
I am in the process of remodeling the bathroom. I am trying to get a plumber out to look at the situations since I cut open and excavated the concrete floor. I usually like to know the plan, so I don't get bids for 10 different ways of doing things. I have a vented waste stack that used to service the tub. I plan to move the shower over next to the tub. The waste pipe looks at to be at least 2 inches. Questions:

1. Can the shower y into or joint this waste pipe? I asked the City inspector about the situation and he suggested this. He said showers and tubs are seldom used at the same time. The distance for the two waste runs in the new configuration would be 2.5 feet for new shower, 3.5 feet for the existing bath. The new shower will have the multiple body sprays. My desire is for this to work well, not just work and I'd like other opinions on the matter.

2. Seems like everyone is using the PEX tubing around here I was considering running the supply lines myself. First of all is there any reason PEX should not be used here in North Texas? I've heard that the tools are proprietary? I've seen the crimpers at the big box stores, are those good tools? I've talked to different people about the expander tool, some say it is necessary others not. Why would it not be necessary? I've got 3/4" copper supply at the edge of the bathroom.

3. I cut the concrete slab around the old shower stall, I new it would be thick and it was worse than I expected. Talked with the inspector and he said why not cap it off below the slab line and put concrete over the top. I didn't think that was allowed. Again I don't want do something just because it is allowed, if it could cause problems later. This drain pipe runs over about 2.5 feet to a dwv. It is in the middle of the house and I was afraid of continuing chipping concrete if there was going to be no benefit.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks