red triangle on water meter

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by LiamM, Dec 31, 2007.

1. LiamM

LiamM New Member

Hi

I recently noticed that the red triangle on the face of my water meter was moving back and forth by about 3/4 of a revolution. Each time it moved forward-backwards-forward, it ended up a little past where it was.

I didn't have any fixtures, etc turned on while this was happening. Is the only cause of this a leak somewhere? And why would it be moving backwards?

Thanks for any feedback
  2. Meter leak indicators can be a little "sensitive". They spin very rapidly when any water is running, and should be at a stop when not.
    Do you have traffic going by nearby or anything else that might be causing it to move? Public water pressure fluctuations?
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Time to check all the faucets for drips and dye test the toilet tanks.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

red

If it is moving back and forth, then it is responding to pressure fluctuations. A leak would make it rotate.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Time to check for leaks!
  6. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

Lets place bets, mine is on a leaky flapper.
  7. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

I would check the water level of the toilet(s). I once had a toilet fill to the top of the over flow and stop then drain down the overflow then fill again. It was a stop go stop go. Then again a bad flapper will do the same thing

8. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

Dam, ya got me, I shoulda just generalized and said toilet...good point.
  9. LiamM

LiamM New Member

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I'll test the toilets and faucets this weekend, and post an update with any findings.
  10. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

That is also what happens when a bowl refill tube is too far down the owerflow tube and the tank water level is set too high.
  11. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

Ya I tend to install the air gap so that doesn't happen. Saves the call backs for something that could have been prevented with one minor piece.
  12. Herk

Herk Plumber

My vote is for pressure fluctuations. I agree that if something was using water, the indicator would only move in one direction.