Recommendations for a laptop??

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We have an old Toshiba which still works fine , but slow. Wifey is now interested in using it for some streaming video and would like faster, + larger screen.

Any reason to spring what seems to be GiMormous bucks for an apple??? Looks like I could get a swell Dell for ?? $1000 ?

HP is having a blowout sale at the online store. Looks like I could get a beauty for ?? $800 out the door???

I have read that there are chips calle i3, i5, and i7. A radio guru said you should skip the 3, but the average joe does not need the 7. What's the 411 on that???

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The Ipad® does not even come close to a Real Laptop.

I guess it is what ever floats your boat.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Maybe, but I think it is more handy.

I sit in the yard with it, use it on the workbench in in the garage, or the countertop in the kitchen.
Carrying a full laptop seems like a burden now.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but I think it is more handy.

I sit in the yard with it, use it on the workbench in in the garage, or the countertop in the kitchen.
Carrying a full laptop seems like a burden now.
It's amazing how everybody has to have big screen 3D TV's, then they want to watch TV and streaming movies on their cell phones or IPads!
Oh yeah; and they want to do email and Facebook on their TV's LOL
:rolleyes:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It's amazing how everybody has to have big screen 3D TV's, then they want to watch TV and streaming movies on their cell phones or IPads!
Oh yeah; and they want to do email and Facebook on their TV's LOL
:rolleyes:
Well, that opens up a whole new world! We have a brand new Sony Bravia widescreen in the bedroom. Anyway to connect the toshiba to that????

DonL

Reaction score
Well, that opens up a whole new world! We have a brand new Sony Bravia widescreen in the bedroom. Anyway to connect the toshiba to that????

Maybe could, Depending on the Model.

The New HP Laptops have HDMI and would work.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Maybe could, Depending on the Model.

The New HP Laptops have HDMI and would work.
Yep, my 2 year old Dell laptop has HDMI and I sometimes use it to watch a recorded mpeg movie from it, although with the Verizon FIOS I have, any photos or video I have on my main PC can be watched on any of my FIOS connected TV's with the FIOS Media Manager s/w if I run it on my PC. I have not used it for a while, but it does work well as I remember. The HDMI cable from the Laptop setup is great.

DonL

Reaction score
Yep, my 2 year old Dell laptop has HDMI and I sometimes use it to watch a recorded mpeg movie from it, although with the Verizon FIOS I have, any photos or video I have on my main PC can be watched on any of my FIOS connected TV's with the FIOS Media Manager s/w if I run it on my PC. I have not used it for a while, but it does work well as I remember. The HDMI cable from the Laptop setup is great.

I have used a few VGA converters but most are a joke.

HDMI is the way to go.

I have a feeling that jimbo's Laptop it to old to have HDMI and his HDTV is to new to have a VGA input.

I wonder how big jimbo's bathroom TV is...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have a feeling that jimbo's Laptop it to old to have HDMI and his HDTV is to new to have a VGA input.

I wonder how big jimbo's bathroom TV is...

True on both counts. It is a 48 , but in the bedroom, not the bathroom!~

Brandon124

Reaction score
If most of what she will do is movies and surf the net, you might consider an iPad.

I was just going to recommend a Macbook Pro or a Mac. If you're willing to shell out $1,000.00 for a laptop or computer alike, then you might as well consider looking into a Mac. Go online. You may find better prices on there and save yourself from going to a Mac store. The Macbook Pro and Mac are both versatile and have large monitor displays. Their performances are also tremendous, in terms of running multiple programs simultaneously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks