Recomendation for backup sump pump battery

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by StopTheRide, Mar 2, 2009.

1. StopTheRide

StopTheRide New Member

I have a Zoeller Basement Sentry Model 507. It was installed almost 3 years ago. I would like to replace the battery. It hasn't died, I'm just looking to stay ahead of the game.

I was unable to locate the old battery manufacturer online, so no luck there.

Can someone suggest a battery or batteries that I can or should use? I started looking online but there were so many options.

Over the past 3 years the backup has come on 1 - 2 times a year.

I live in the western burbs of Chicago if that helps.

Thank you.
  2. drick

drick In the Trades

You should get 5 years out of a battery that is kept charged and not being drawn down constantly. Two times a year is nothing. I'd keep going with what you have and just check the battery (with the charge controller turned off or unplugged) periodically.

I don't know what Zoeller uses for a battery, however the manufacturer is unimportant. What you want to do is match the volts, amp hours and type of battery (the type is probably plain old lead acid, although its possible that it uses a deep cycle battery) so the charge controller won't have any issues charging the new battery. The information should be on the battery label.

-rick
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

All back up batterys should be replaced after 3 years...

the batterys will last and test good for 5 years but the run time curve, during emergency operation, starts droping off after 3 years...so if you want a new battery remove the old one and bring it to Autozone or any other auto parts store and get a Marine battery with the same rating or better as the one you brought in...
  4. StopTheRide

StopTheRide New Member

Thank you both for your replies.

When I replace the old battery would it be possible to connect both batteries to the back up?

Of course if the answer is yes, my next question is what's the best way to connect them? :)

A quick search tells me that I would need special cables to attach both batteries together. Would I cause problems with the charger?

5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

You can connect 2 batteries together to increase the run time of the unit. Any auto parts store would be able to provide you with the needed terminals and wire. The Zoeller charger should be fine with 2 batteries, remembering that while the run time might be double, so will the charge time.

The batteries must be hooked up negative to negative and positive to positive. If you wire the batteries negative to positive it will then be 24 volts, which will damage both the pump and charger.

You didn't mention why your back-up pump has ever ran. Power outage?

Don't connect new battery to old battery. When 1 fails it will take the other with it. If you want 2, buy 2.
  6. StopTheRide

StopTheRide New Member

Unfortunately the back up has run for several reasons. The diaphragm switch on the old sump pump (Hydromatic DA1) failed twice and then the pump itself failed. The new pump is a Zoeller. I've also had several power outages.

I'll keep that in mind about connecting the old and new batteries.

7. alternety

alternety Like an engineer

You would have less potential for having to fool around with batteries and issues if you just get a single higher capacity battery. If you don't find any by searching, look at solar power/off grid sites.

If you do it right, care and feeding of batteries can be more complicated. Search around those same sites.
  8. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

On my fishing boat I use 2 - 6 volt deep cycle batteries in place of each 12 volt battery. 0n a 12/24 trolling motor. I can get about 2 1/2 to 3 days of fishing bow into the current on the river without recharging while many of my buddies barely make it through the day before finding it difficult to advance into the current.

Try taking a look at the Trojan T-145 Plus 6V Deep Cycle Battery.
    Trojan Marine Batteries
  9. StopTheRide

StopTheRide New Member

I will check into the other options mentioned. Thank you.