Recessed garden hose boxes

Users who are viewing this thread

Lightwave

Reaction score
Can anybody point me towards a recessed garden hose bib/box that's acceptable for installation in freezing climates?

I've found a handful of recessed hose boxes (e.g. Acorn 8140) but nothing that's designed for exterior use in areas with below-freezing weather.

Any suggestions?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hose faucet

The one common problem with most of them is that the backflow preventers are spring loaded so the body of the valve retains water when the valve is turned off. Hopefully, any pressure generated by that water freezing will be dissipated through the BFP before it can create pressure to split the valve, but that depends on HOW it freezes..

NPMSTR

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.prier.com
Both of the valves I have shown are listed and labeled to ASSE standards, which for a Freezeless Wall Hydrant requires the water to drain out of the valve once the valve is shut down. Both of these valves will drain and if installed and used correctly, will not freeze and split the valve.

osx-addict

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Are there versions of these that won't break the bank? Most of them I've seen for in ground mounting (cement in my case) runs more than $500 and most are over $1100 for one.. Ouch! I'd like to use one for connecting above ground pots to a water source..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The water supply TO the recessed hydrant MUST have the backflow prevention device. Especially, because there is a below ground opening for drainage which COULD siphon contaminated water into the system if the faucet is partially open or leaking water. They are expensive because they have a limited clientele and are complex to manufacture.

osx-addict

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the note.. In my case the entire line this would be connected to is running through a PVB already installed but I realize what you're saying regardless. I'll look for some sort of alternative thing I can do in lieu of this finding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks