Recessed cans flickering off/on

Users who are viewing this thread

lkjlkjlkj

Reaction score
Recently I noticed one of my recessed cans flickering off & on. Now I have another flickering which is controlled from a different wall switch. It's not the bulbs or the wiring at the can so it must be at the wall. This is how the wall switch controls the lights . Three on/off switches at wall control: 3 large cans, middle large can only, and 4 small cans. There is another single wall switch on a different wall that turns the 3 lrg. cans off/on. I have not checked the wall plates wiring, what would I look for?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Can lights often have thermal hi temp cut off switches in them. What you describe is a situation I have seen before....too large a wattage bulb, and/or insulation too close on a non-IC fixture. The can heats up, the switch turns off, then it cools and light comes on again for a while.

Can you tell us what the label on your can says about bulbs, and what bulb you have in there.?
Is your can rated as type IC, and is there insulation on top of it?

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
90% odds, your light bulbs are too high-watt for the fixture, or you've got regular bulbs when you should have reflector bulbs.

10% odds, the fixture is old & the thermostat is malfunctioning.

lkjlkjlkj

Reaction score
Recessed cans flickering on/off

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm using 60 watt reflector bulbs which is much lower than max because of the heat it puts out. Also there is no insulation around cans because there is no attic above the dining room. Also the bulbs are doing a disco flickering, not staying on for 5-10 min then shutting off.We put new bulbs in. The reason I thought it might be at the wall plate is when I was turning each switch on/off, one of the cans started flickering immediately.Could it be a wiring problem at the wall plates?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flickering

It could be that, or any of several other things, but we would be guessing, just like you are. To make a definitive diagnosis requires someone to be there with a tester.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
absolutely could be at the wall plate but it would affect all the bulbs on that circuit at the same time if it was...like hj said get someone in who can diagnose it properly... a competent electrician will work...

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
You need to check the type of reflector bulb for the trim you are using. EXample par 30, These would be according to the trim you are using. If you are sure you are using the correct ones. Then deffinately get someone that is qualified to check out your wiring.

If you do want to try make sure you have the circuit turned off at the panel before taking anything apart. About all you can do without the proper equipt and knowledge is make sure all the joints are ok.

I still would suspect you have a bulb problem with the ratings with your description. Try to find the listing on the trim.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks