Really old closet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

mschoenn

Reaction score
Almost finished a complete bathroom remodel. Tile floor already installed and painting complete. Going to install toilet and realize this is the flange I have to work with (see pictures). Looks as if bolt slots are in tact, but I haven't seen a flange like this anywhere in pictures and videos online. What kind of flange is this? Can I use this existing (concrete?) flange? Any risks with re-using the existing? If I can't use it, what needs to be done in order to replace with a new flange?

Attachments

• IMG_4798.jpg
    IMG_4798.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_4799.jpg
    IMG_4799.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_4800.jpg
    IMG_4800.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 307
Reaction score
You say the bolts slots are good, afterall, they were holding up the toilet there fine before, so you can use them again.

It is a cast iron flange. It may be held in the concrete, or calked over the O.D. of the pipe. There weren't really any common standards those times.

This would have been easier to replace before the tile job.

If you must, you can use SS screws to fasten a flange ring right on top of that one. Flange rings are flanges without hubs.

Here is just one random sample of many flange rings, they come in many flavors and sizes and fasten each their own way too.
flange_ring_only.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I would try to pick the junk out of the slots and vacuum the material up. If you can get the closets bolts in there and dimensions are right, that would be good. I think the bolt centers are 6.125 inches apart. Does that match your slots?

mschoenn

Reaction score
I was able to install the toilet this weekend on the existing flange. Slots held the bolts. Seems to be working fine so far. Thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks