Re-prime and re-glue a fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

EdibleMarble

Reaction score
Hi,

Relatively new DIYer here looking for some help. I was setting up drains in my vanity earlier when I slightly knocked the main drain coming up from the floor, and I felt it pop out. Sure enough one of the fittings came loose. I had primed and glued it myself so I know it never should have happened. My best guess is that I waited too long until the primer was dry to glue or did not press down hard enough and the overlap was small.

Anyway, my question is can I just remove the glue residue from the two pipes somehow and re-prime and re-glue them together again? Or since I have already primed them once will it not work?

To make things complicated this all happens below my vanity. It would be a big pain to cut lower, there is not a lot of room until the pipe goes into the floor.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume you are talking PVC.

I think you could probably make this work by scraping off glue residue. Prime both parts with purple primer. Apply a lot of glue, and insert your pipe with both twisting and strong downward force.

I am not a plumber.

index.php

EdibleMarble

Reaction score
Yes PVC. I was thinking a fine sandpaper would be the best bet to get rid of it but wasn't sure.

Thanks for the reply!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF the pipe fits into the socket, just adding more cement after cleaning, may be all you need. The cement's solvent will liquify the surface, so if the pipe can be inserted fully, you should be golden.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks