RainSoft AQ40T o-ring replacement (to start)

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by mjdamore, Sep 11, 2010.

1. mjdamore

mjdamore New Member

Finally I MUST fix water softener. Symptoms lead to advice to replace 5 o-rings. Only have owners manual but no diagrams, etc. Where are the o-rings in such a unit? With a diagram, I know I can fix it.

2. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Business owner/service and sales
    Photo of the unit in question?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. mjdamore

mjdamore New Member

Pictures of AQ40T Rainsoft

Are these pictures OK?

Attached Files:

5. mjdamore

mjdamore New Member

The tanks on the left are the charcoal filter tanks so they are irrelevant except I need to replace the charcoal.

6. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

But the valve for your softener is of an older style that I am not sure if there are still parts for it..

While they may not have the o rings they still might be found at a place like True Valve hardware store. I found o rings to repair a bypass valve..

I do have a manual on that ,, but it is hard copy and not a pdf file...

There is one piston with what is listed as 3 O rings, that is under the two white wheels, then there is the two flappers that are just to the right of that piston.

Attached Files:

7. mjdamore

mjdamore New Member

Thanks a lot - this is the 1st parts diagram I've ever seen for this unit. This looks very close to what I have. If this doesn't work, then I'll replace the control unit.

8. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

The valve stayed the same while the control changed.

The scann is from a book that I got my hands on some 15 years ago while I was working for a company that is now out of business but had me start my own years ago.