Rain shower copper size

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by crabapplemcn, Nov 8, 2008.

1. crabapplemcn

crabapplemcn New Member

I am building a new home and 1/2" copper is the standard line to the shower. If I wanted to make sure I get really good water pressure, would moving up to a 3/4" line help or is the flow restricted by the showerhead. The rain shower head I was interested in has a 2.5 gpm flow rate. Thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A 1/2" supply can safely flow about 6-7 gallons/min depending on the supply pressure, so if this is the only head running, should have as much flow as the restrictor in the showerhead will allow.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Rainshower heads typically don't have lots of pressure rather the water falls out kinda like a rain shower...