Radon/DWV vents through roof

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan S

Reaction score
Good evening gents,
A bit of back story. I'm in south eastern NH, which I think follows the IPC. I'm a homeowner building a detached in-law building on my property. Since it is a new build from the ground up, I'm pulling permits piecemeal myself and via subs as I complete different phases. I have the shell of the building erected and my next step is to roof and side the structure. I'm still in the process of finding a plumber. In order to complete the roof and the waterproofing underneath it I need to put the roof penetrations in place. My plan is to sleeve short sections of the PVC pipes I need through the roof sheathing and support them from below until the time when they can be joined to the stacks, etc.
I am passing a 3" passive radon vent through the roof. Also I'll need to do the same with the 3" DWV stack. I have a shower very close below that if possible I'd like to vent through the roof as well. Since the house is very small and potential chase locations are limited, my tentative plan is to bring both the radon and DWV stacks through the roof in the same relative location. If no one sees a problem with it I'd like to pass the shower vent through the roof in the same area, although unless I have a damper on that vent I can imagine some objections to that. First question: I'm not sure if there are code restrictions as far as grouping these vents together on the roof?
2nd question: These pipes will exit the roof plane on the street side, and since my neighborhood is somewhat historic I'm hoping to conceal the pipe in a large false chimney with a large open cap that allows the pipes to extend to their code required heights, achieving the intent of the code while aesthetically pleasing my neighbors.
I believe these are the only roof penetrations I need. The range hood will exit through a sidewall and the basement bathroom will as well, and I'll have no gas appliances that require venting. The house will be heated with a single 18k minisplit as it has an open floor plan. If there's something else you think I'm forgetting, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe you could use 3 chimney pots atop your chimney.
KC06-30-06_021400.jpg
http://www.elitechimneyrestoration.com/claychimneypots.html

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks