Radiators still only bleeding air...ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

plumbbob

Reaction score
So I shut off the system, left the fill line open and still only get air coming out (upstairs).

I looked at the fill line and there is a B&G reducing valve (model 110192) with a 'flip lever' on the top. It seems that water only enters the system when I flip the lever up.

Inbound water pressure is about 40 PSI, and I have a booster that takes it to 65 PSI.

Is that valve working normally? How can I check to make sure the system is filling?

Thanks, Matt

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The boiler water loop is normally around 14 pounds, and you should be able to read the tag on the makeup valve to see what yours is.

When you open a bleed valve, air should come out (well, really, water should if it is full!). If air is continuing to come out, just wait, it could take awhile. If the makeup valve is not putting water into the system, then it may be bad. If, with the bleed valve is open, and air is no longer coming out, then the makeup valve probably isn't working, OR, your bleed valve is plugged up. You don't want to leave the makeup valve manually opened since your system isn't designed for the 40-65 pounds pressure and you could burst the expansion tank bladder.

If you have someone that can stand by the boiler and the makeup valve while you open a bleed valve, they should be able to hear water running. You should also have a pressure gauge on the boiler to see what it is currently holding.

Air won't magically get expelled from the lines unless you push it out. That's what the makeup valve adding water under pressure as the air is expelled is doing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Please ask your questions in the thread...it helps others. A private message doesn't necessarily get you anything faster. Nobody's getting paid here, and I spend far more time than I should, but do have other things in my life!:)

If your makeup valve is working (and make sure if there is a valve behind it, it is opened), it could be bad. There is also supposed to be a backflow preventer valve before the makeup valve. So, there are three things that could be clogged or defective that would prevent water from entering the system when you open a bleed valve somewhere. You really should have a pressure gauge on the system. If you do, and it is ready low, manually using the lever see if you can add any water to the system. If the makeup valve is stuck, operating it manually might free it up. No guarantees. If it does add water, then try to bleed the system while someone holds it open or adds a little while you let some out. As noted, you don't want to overpressure the system, which is where the gauge comes in.

The system has to be pressurized to force the air out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks