Quarter-turn, frost-free, anti-syphon faucet shuts itself off

Users who are viewing this thread

RavenG

Long-time DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I have two quarter-turn, frost-free, anti-siphon faucets, both installed in 2005, that shut themselves off when water is run through a hose. I hear a gurgling sound and then a "clunk" and the water volume shuts down to a trickle. It occasionally leaks around the top cap, but not always.

These faucets were, stupidly, purchased at Home Depot and installed in our new home. Based on reading threads on this site, I think they may be Mansfield 500-series faucets - or possibly NIBCO Model 90??. There is no manufacturer name on them (obviously not proud of the product) only A.S.S.E 1019-A on the anti-siphon cap and embossed in the brass on the left side. There is also SA enclosed in a large C on the cap. The handle and cap are made of tan-colored plastic. There used to be something written on the end of the handle, but it faded away long ago.

Does anyone know what is causing this reduced volume problem? I've taken both faucets apart and there is no internal blockage and they both run fine if there is nothing attached, like a hose. The problem is worse if the hose is going up hill from the faucet. The cause seems to be in the anti-siphon/vacuum-breaker mechanism, but I can't figure out why.

Based on what I've read in other threads, it looks like I may need a Mansfield service part kit vacuum breaker pack No. 630-7500 (or possibly vacuum breaker replacement parts for the NIBCO Model 90).

I would replace these faucets with a better brand (one that is proud enough to put their name on it and for which replacement parts are easily available) but I would have to tear out two finished walls to get to the inside end of the installations & destroy the stucco finish around the outside. I don't want to do that if I can avoid it.

I only saw one other post who mentioned the reduced-flow problem with these faucets, but I could not find an answer to his question.

Thanks. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks