PVC pipe labeled DWV vs Drinking

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Jake_homeowner, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Jake_homeowner

Jake_homeowner New Member

I am setting up a chlorine injection system and retention tank and the 1 1/4 inch PVC pipe I purchased at the local hardware store is labeled DWV. The 1 1/4 pipe only needs to run about 2 feet between the injection tank and the retention tank. Does it matter that its not labeled Drinking like the rest of my 1" PVC supply pipe or is just labeling. This is on a well system running between 40-60 PSI.

Thanks,
    Jake
  2. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

The pipe you have is something like "schedule 20" for "drain, waste and vent" and is not adequate for pressure service.
  3. kordts

kordts In the Trades

You need pressure pipe, they have it at most hardware stores.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

It is probably not "schedule 20" especially if it fits 1 1/4" fittings, but it is schedule 40 in size, but not strength.
  5. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

DWV pipe is not rated for pressure and will rupture if subjected to it.
    In the case of PVC, Co-Extruded DWV pipe has a foam core and only 2 thin layers of solid PVC - inner and outer...