"Push button" bathtub drain

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Beth, May 12, 2005.

1. Beth

Beth New Member

Hi -- We have an American Standard bathtub (about 6 years old) with a "push button" drain stopper. We also have a clogged drain. The problem is that I can't figure out how to remove the push button mechanism from the drain so that I can run a hand auger down there. I've gotten as far as being able to unscrew the pushbutton, but that leaves me with the whole mechanism underneath and I cannot see how to get it out. Can you help? Thank you! Beth
  2. MartinR

MartinR New Member

I think you might be better off to remove the cover on the overflow fitting near the top rim of the tub. It's likely held in place with a single screw. You should then be able to get your snake in through that opening.

Good luck, Marty