PRV pulsating noise

Users who are viewing this thread

herynkc

Reaction score
Just roughed in a residential water supply system. Inlet pressure was rather extreme at 110-135psi so obviously a PRV install was needed. We are now experiencing a low to moderate (72 dB) pulsating noise at the PRV when water is flowing through the system. Below is a link to a video that demonstrates the situation when a 3/4" branch line is opened 100%. The pulsating begins when the 3/4 line is open 75% or more.

The PRV does regulate the pressure properly, but its annoying to hear.

I have checked that the valve it is indeed oriented properly.

I called the manufacturer (Resideo Braukmann) and they had no insight to share. They told me to try and turn the outlet pressure up or down. When turning the pressure up it made it worse, when turning it down it reduced the noise a little but the pulsation was still present.

Seems to me like there is some issue with the valve mechanism of the PRV? Perhaps it is hitting back and forth when water is flowing quickly?

Im thinking the next step should be to disassemble the PRV to see if there is any identifiable mechanical issues. Any other suggestions? I do have another one of these exact same valves that I had planned to use on another project. Next chance I get I plan to try and swap it out to see if it is indeed just a faulty valve causing the issue.

PRV model: FK06-102-DUS-LF (from what I understand this is the exact same product as DS06-102-DUS-LF however it has the addition of a filter element below)
link to video:
youtube.com/shorts/TPKN0Z8ywd8

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks nice Never seen soft copper like that but clean looking . I suppose try disasembling and cleaning prv

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
It is a bad PRV unit. We have seen bad units out of the box from most mfrs. For that specific reason, we only install double union units, and, lucky you, it is double union.
And a rebuildable lever handle shutoff. Man, we rarely see such high quality on residential. Where is that manifold from?

herynkc

Reaction score
It is a bad PRV unit. We have seen bad units out of the box from most mfrs. For that specific reason, we only install double union units, and, lucky you, it is double union.
And a rebuildable lever handle shutoff. Man, we rarely see such high quality on residential. Where is that manifold from?
Thanks. yes figured it was a bad unit. We have the replacement in hand but haven't gotten there yet to make a swap.

This is a high end remodel in Portland. Client is an architect and cares about what gets installed behind the scenes as much as what gets installed at surface level. One of those rare cases.

Manifold is field built from 1-1/4 hard copper with 3/4 branches (tee extracted.)

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your opening there or what the flow rate is, but prvs are made with a minimum and maximum flow rate. They won't operate correctly outside of those limits. I'm also not familiar with your prv.

herynkc

Reaction score
I'm not sure what your opening there or what the flow rate is, but prvs are made with a minimum and maximum flow rate. They won't operate correctly outside of those limits. I'm also not familiar with your prv.
3/4 copper line is being opened. its not even drawing half the rated manufactuer spec'd gpm

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
3/4 copper line is being opened. its not even drawing half the rated manufactuer spec'd gpm
Friday you said you have a replacent but didnt install it yet? not clear which regulator is flows at less than 50 percent specification?

herynkc

Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot----2023-11-06---21-22-47.png
    Screenshot----2023-11-06---21-22-47.png
    218.2 KB · Views: 46
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks