Proposed layout for bathroom drain lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
Here's what i have, and what i want to do when i remodel the bathroom. I also want to hide all the pipes against the wall or between the joist so as to be able to finish the basment easily. Right now they are all sticking out in the open.

I live in PA and think i'm under the 2003 IPC.

Right now, the toilet sits on top of the 3" stack, and is not vented. I'm not sure how i could fit the two 90 bends in there later, still tucked inbetween the two joists, and get a vent there too. Anyways, the pics:

oldplumbing.jpg

Now here's what i want to do:

newplumbing.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dwv

The toilet is being vented by lavatory vent. How high do you intend to have the toilet above the floor? There is NO WAY you will get that tee for the sink/tub AND two elbows within a 10" joist. Therefore the toilet will probably have to be mounted on a 6" or 8" platform to do what you want to.

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
What do people usually do in this circumstance to fit all the plumbing in there without raising the toilet?

What if i used one of those sanitary tees that has a side inlet - placed that on the stack between the joists, so the toilet only has the one 90 then goes straight in, and the tub/lav drain goes in the side inlet? That work fine? But then i'd have to cap the top of the sanitary tee...hmmm...

Or i could run the tub/lav drain all the way to the right wall, then put in a 90 that i angle down 45 degrees, and run it into a wye in the stack below the sanitary tee...but that seems like almost having a combo wye in the stack, which i'm not supposed to do...

Third idea...the first 90 out of the toilet....then put a wye in the toilet drain line...run the tub/lav drain to that wye...then the second 90, down the stack...

My point is i'm trying to get that stack against the basement wall that is to the right of the picture...so i can wall it in...instead of being a foot away as it is now...and get the tub/lav drain through the joists...instead of under them...

thanks again...

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sanitary tee's can not be located horizontally for recieving the discharge from fixtures.

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about it being horizontal, i meant on top of the stack, and the top of it capped. It would be vertical.

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
Here's my most recent idea - is this legal? I measured each piece, and it should just fit...

newplumbing2.jpg

This is the elbow i was talking about using there with the side inlet:

M-41557.jpg

Tricounty

Reaction score
Just hire a pro and be done with it. I see a solution, but it took me years to learn that solution..lol. I advise you to hire a plumber.

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
Just hire a pro and be done with it. I see a solution, but it took me years to learn that solution..lol. I advise you to hire a plumber.

That was very useful, i'm glad you're a member of this forum. Thank you for all your help.

How many posts do you think you can get in per day with such useful advice, such as "i know the answer but won't tell"?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks