Proper venting for sewage ejector pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Jon2005, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Jon2005

Jon2005 New Member

Hi,

I am installing a bathroom in the basement, and will be using a sewage ejector pump. I know for certain that the basin needs to be vented to the outside. What I don't no is if I am suppose to add a seperate vent for the sink and the shower. The sink is only going to be about 2 feet from the 4" drain feed to the basin. The shower will be about 6 feet. Do I need to have a vent for the shower and sink drain too? I have read that the siphoning effect of the drain could partially drain the water from the traps, and cause sewer gas to come through, but is this really a concern? I have never lived in a house that had a seperate vent on every drain.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trap

Every house you have lived in has had a vent for every trap/drain, they just may just have been combined so you did not have a separate one for each drain. Yes you need to vent those items, and you can tie their vents into the tank vent. Actually you have it backwards. Theoretically the pump would work using the fixture vents, rather than the fixtures using the tanks's vent.