"proper" method of bullnose around tub/shower surround?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by rkhanso, Apr 30, 2013.

1. rkhanso

rkhanso Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I am putting some 4.25" ceramic tile above the tub/shower surround in my kids' bathroom. I was wondering what the standard or proper way to align the bullnose in respects to everything else. The bullnose I have is 6" tall, not 4.25"

Does the bullnose start with a full piece at the ceiling and then the bottom piece get cut to fit? Or the other way round?

Also, I saw 4.25" square tile with a bullnose edge at the store, too. I wouldn't use that square bullnose above the shower surround and then the longer 6" on the side of the surround?

Or, am I off in using the 6" bullnose on the side in the first place. Is this not usually done?

Here's a picture:

Attached Files:

2. kevinp

kevinp In the Trades

Apr 13, 2013
    You don't want to mix two different size bullnose tile there, 6" is fine. The top is the most visible so starting with a full bn tile at the top is a good idea unless it leaves a small piece at the bottom. Do the layout the way it pleases you the most.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement