Problems installing Moen shower valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Kskier

Home Handyman
Reaction score
I converted my dual control water shower valves to a single control. It is a Moen (moen63170)rough in 4 port with stops. The problem is, after I have hooked up all the connections, I get no water flow out of tub spout or the shower arm. I have played around with the stops by opening and closing them, still nothing. There is a large port with a screw head on on it next the cold port which I think is the balancing spool piece. Should I remove this spool piece to see if anything fell into the valve body? I have installed the valve in the right configuration but I am missing something but don't know what. Could there be an air pocket in the valve?

moen-63170.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is not an air pocket. Yes, the part with the screw head is the balancing spool, and that is the issue. Remember this: both stops must be full open; otherwise the balance spool will do what is is supposed to do and turn off the other side as well.

For now, remove the spool device, see if it moves freely internally, or is clogged or stuck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks