Problem with Eljer 3 Knob Shower Controls

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by chager, Dec 3, 2008.

1. chager

chager New Member

Hi All,

I recently bought a house and inherited what I believe to be the original mid 1960 fixtures in the bathroom. As you can imagine, they have corroded over time and now leak pretty badly and need to be replaced. As this is my first home, I haven't really done a lot of DIY plumbing before. I tried to get a better look at the hardware by removing the center screw on the knob, but I can't even seem to get the knobs off from the fixture. Am I missing something? Is there a special tool I need to get the handle off?

Thanks all and please let me know if ya'll need more info and i will get it to you.

-Chris
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

On one that old, you'll probably need a handle puller. There are various types, most aren't very expensive.

While you can probably repair the valve you have, it may be time to upgrade to one that has the latest anti-scald technology (required on a remodel or new installs). How far apart are the handles? They make oversized plates to cover many holes when converting.