Problem with AO smith Promax water heater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jrgaskey

Reaction score
Has me and my neighbor stumped. The pilot light stays on and brings up the burner when the thermostat calls for it. Once the heating cycle completes, both the burner and the pilot extinguish. I have replaced the thermocouple assembly (includes pilot feed and striker element) and the flow control valve. The symptoms have not changed. The tank is only five years old and not ready to buy a new one. Saving up for a higher end hybrid, maybe. Any help, any ideas?

Dave in WI

Reaction score
I have an ao smith pro max gcv 50 100, and I'm having similar issues. I googled it and may have found an answer. There is a ceramic screen called a flame arrestor under the burner. The air supply comed in through that. It has very smallmjoles and is suceptble to clogging with dust. I just cleaned mine be removing tje plastic screen at tne botton. And sticking in a vacuum cleaner crevice tool. I alsi taped a toothbrush to a long screwdriver and scrubbed off the underside as best I could, and vacuumed again. I'm sitting here watcjing the burner with my fingers crossed right now.

Question for you, how did you remove the access cover for the thermocouple? Mine pass throigh a tight orange grommet and it seems if i pull off the cover, it will dislodge the thermocouples inside, and i cant see where they should be through the little window.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks