Problem toilet #2 in the house

Users who are viewing this thread

Jazzy66

Reaction score
After getting some sound advice on what I should do concerning my first toilet problem in my basement I'd like to get some opinions on a situation with the biggest toilet problem in the main bathroom.

My toilet on the first floor of my house was leaking water and it was discovered that the flange was busted thus the seal was not very good and I had some minimal water leakage but it had to be fixed.

After the toilet was taken off it was discovered the flange was connected all in one piece to the black PVC sewage pipe that leads under my bathroom to the main sewage line in the house.

My question is this. Does anyone know if this one piece flange/pipe piece that is glued into the main black PVC come in this form or is it several pieces glued together. Whatever it is how can it be repaired? My initial thought was that this flange/pipe piece needs replaced and it won't just pull out of the black PVC sewage line it seems to me that it will have to be cut out.

If that is the case how do I repair it? Any guidance on what I need to do and what parts I will need to fix it? Or do I drop back 10 yds and punt and call a registered plumber to help me because this is no job for a novice like myself? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The flange and drain pipe are not all one piece. The flange is solvent welded into the closet bend which in turn is solvent welded to the drain line. FYI, this is not PVC pipe, it is ABS pipe. Both are a man-made plastic, but have different chemical properties and are not "glued" in the usual sense of the word. The so-called glue is a solvent that chemically melts the top surfaces of the pipe and fitting so that the will slip together. This causes the two surfaces to combine and when the solvent evaporates, it is actually welded together. OK, now to you problem. Call a plumber. He can cut out the old flange with special tools and install a new one. For a plumber, it's an easy job.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The safest path is to call a plumber. But, if you have access from underneath you should be able to view the pieces, buy new bits, and cut out at a convenient place and rebuild with new stuff.

The flange should be mounted on TOP of the FINISHED floor. You best choice is a flange with a stainless steel ring rather than an all plastic one. AND, it MUST be anchored through the subfloor. If there's tile involved, you may need a diamond bit to drill the mounting holes for a SS or brass screws to anchor it to the subflooring

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks