Preventing rust at holes in metal tubs

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by HomeRepairGuy, Dec 29, 2010.

1. HomeRepairGuy

HomeRepairGuy New Member

Decided to buy a metal bathtub with porcelain coating (American Standard Americast tub). While doing research on tub drains, I saw a post saying that the drain hole in steel tubs sometimes rust badly enough to require replacement of the tub.

Has anyone thought of a way to seal the metal at the drain and overflow holes in new steel tubs prior to installation so they won't rust?

Thanks,
    HRG
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Not really a big issue if you are careful, but here are some things to do:

The putty, or silicone, under the drain flange, stops any water from touching the metal edge.

At the overflow, you could touch up any exposed metal edge with the best primer going: www.rustbullet.com
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is NOT a problem with an Americast tub, but IS with a conventional enameled steel tub. Steel rusts when it gets wet, and if the enamel coating on EITHER side of the tub is compromised, usually the back side, the tub WILL rust and deteriorate.
  4. HomeRepairGuy

HomeRepairGuy New Member

It seems that the drain flange eventually leaks causing rust unless periodic maintenance is done, which I never do. Thanks for the tip about Rust Bullet. I'll buy it and use it.

HRG
  5. HomeRepairGuy

HomeRepairGuy New Member

That's VERY good news about rust at holes not being a problem with Americast tubs. Just to be extra safe I think I'll go ahead and apply Rust Bullet to any exposed steel. My labor is free... ;)

Thanks much,
    HRG