pressure relief valve opens

Users who are viewing this thread

gimdongho

Reaction score
I have a gas boiler with steam radiators. My boiler pressure keeps going up to 5 psi and the pressure relief valve opens. I adjusted the pressuretrol (0.5 psi with differential 2 psi) but cannot solve the problem. The burners seem to stay on even though the pressure in the boiler has passed the cut out setting. I am wondering whether this happens due to pressure relief valve, pressuretrol, or other sensing components. Recently some erosions in returning pipes have been fixed by breaking a joint and replacing smaller size pipe (from 2 inches to 1 1/4 inches) in some part.

Thanks.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The pipe and or inlet to the pressure-trol is plugged up with crap.

If that isn't the problem then the pressure-trol itself is bad (though very rarely) or someone has screwed up the wiring because regardless of thermostat and or aquastat settings the pressure-trol is the main operating limit for a steam boiler. Thank god the pressure relief valve is working because if it had failed to open you are looking at a catastrophic explosion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks