Pressure Regulator install Q

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by BrianL, May 3, 2007.

1. BrianL

BrianL New Member

OK, bought a Watts residential pressure regulator, but am confused. It came with one nut/washer assembly. Which end does it go on, and do I need it?

I am using PEX connectors which will fit without this nut. See attached pic.

Thanks for the reply, I am trying to get this done on Sunday - all help is appreciated!

--Brian

Attached Files:

2. Cass

Cass Plumber

It goes on the end that is machined to take the O ring. The union nut is so it can be easily disconnected for replacement when it fails. It should be installed with the arrow in the direction of the water flow which is towards / into the house.
    Last edited: May 3, 2007
  3. I use the N55BU's and they are saweet! Dual nuts with 3/4" copper sweat connectors.

Most everything is copper here and all you do is hold it to the pipe, two cuts and solder away. That simple.

That's a pretty heavy device to have both sides running pex to; I'd be supporting that or you'll have strain on the piping.

word!
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Prv

By code the nut goes on the house side so it can be disconnected and tested. I prefer to buy the ones with two nuts so it can be replaced easily. That is not a problem with PEX however.
  5. BrianL

BrianL New Member

Thanks!

Excellent, thanks for the quick responses. The O-ring can go on either side, but I will put it on the 'house' side per Cass's suggestion.

Thanks, it will be getting replaced (along with a bunch of other plastic plumbing) this weekend.

--Brian