pressure low

Users who are viewing this thread

irishred

Reaction score
We recently replaced our pump and tank. Today we replaced our jet and foot valve in the well. This is a relatively shallow well at about 25 ft. The pump was making great pressure until the valve got stuck open. Now we are having pressure problems. It holds steady at 20PSI. If we turn it off and vent through the newly installed T for filling. Turn it on it will go to 35 psi for about a min then slowly drop and hold at 20. We followed all instructions applicable including for priming.

(flotec 40psi tank, 1hp flotec pump and a flotec jet kit)

We have water in the house (and thankfully for the cows) but not great pressure and well the pump runs and runs. The only question for install is the kit came with 2 insert things. One for volume and one for pressure (they go in the suction side) DH put the volume one in, was that wrong? What else could be the issue?

Thanks for any input

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
No nice way to say it, but I dont think anyone can really understand the problem from this description. You might want to re read it and give some better information.

DH? Vent thru the tee? Insert things?

irishred

Reaction score
My apologies for not being clear, it had been a VERY long 2 days and only about 3 hours sleep in the middle. I am not a person that does well without sleep...

Flotec 1hp convertible jet pump and 19gal pre pressurized (40 psi) tank are 2months old. This is the 2 pipe system that goes into a hole that is about 6 inches across.

Monday the pump was just running. We had water in the house but the pump was not gaining enough pressure to shut off. We did a system check as suggested, turning off water to the house/system and seeing if just the pump would gain pressure... that was a negative. With that information we were told by previous owner that the foot vale would occasionally get stuck open and have to be pulled up and cleaned. It is about 25 feet from the well cover (where the pips go in the hole) to the jet and foot valve assembly at the bottom of the pipes.

Monday evening. We pulled the jet and foot valve assembly from the well hole. The foot valve had no screen around it and the whole assembly was corroded horrible. We cleaned it out and put it all back in with hopes of having water until we could get the new parts the next day. Tried to prime it but to no avail this time, every time we though we had it, by the time we got to turn on the pump (about 45 secs) the water was out of the pump and no pressure would build.

Tuesday morning we pulled the entire mess out of the ground again. Discovered a small piece of grit in the valve again but could have happened when disassembling unit from pipes or from pulling it up. Got a new Flotec jet assembly kit with foot valve and new parts to attach it to pipes. In the Box there were two pipe inserts that fit in the suction sided of the jet and slide inside the pipe. ( http://www.*********.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 ) Instructions said one was for pressure and one was for volume. Dear husband (DH- sorry standard net term on most chat forums and I forgot) put in the one for volume. Assembled new parts, attached to pipes and again put it all in the well. We got smart and installed a T section with a plug on the pump so filling would be easier. Got the pump primed (much easier for this first round time). Followed the directions in the pump manual for starting from scratch. Stopped the pump several times priming again and letting air bubbles out (burping).

Last night, Max pressure achieved was 35 psi but would not hold that. Would hold steady at 20 psi. When we cut power, and let air out we had water in there, a few large bubbles would come out though. We did have water in the house but low pressure. We turned it off for the night so not to burn out the pump.

This morning, I again primed the pump (checked that first before turning on power). When I turned it on it sounded like a lot of air. Primed 2 more times, after second time water remained full but again large bubbles would emerge when pressure dropped and I would stop to check it (burping the system). Pressure was again popping to 35, dropping to 20 holding but only for a short time, now it is dropping to 10 and wavering down after about 2-3 min (time the manual says to let it run to gain pressure but we are loosing). This afternoon, we will be pulling everything again to check our connections, check the jet and valve assembly and anything else we can check. Since the pipes went in dry (sitting out for several hours yesterday morning) we should have an idea of the water level in relation to the pipes. If not, how do I measure that? Weighted string knotted at 1ft increments?

Any suggestions. I hope I was clear enough this time.

Thank you

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
By your description I suspect there is something (like a small stone) in the 1/4" nozzle in the jet assembly. This stone or debri plugs the nozzle causing the lack of pressure. The nozzle is below the Venturi (the changable long tube in the jet assembly). Remove the venturi and then with a 3/4" long socket and extention, unscrew the nozzle and remove it. Clean our the 1/4" nozzle hole and clean everything and be careful nothing gets inside again. Replace everything, reprime and you should be ok.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks