Pressure Dropped in shower head, not tub faucet

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by sfwill68, May 9, 2010.

1. sfwill68

sfwill68 New Member

Some facts behind the story:

1. I turned off the toilet and sink valves to remove these fixtures for tiling the floor. During the 10 days of the project the tub faucet was used a few times, but not the shower head.

2. Thinking the problem was lime build up in the head due to letting it dry out for several days, I did two CLR treatments - no improvement.

3. Toilet, sink and tub all still have full pressure, but the shower has pitiful pressure.

QUESTIONS:
    1. Is it possible that there's some sort of build up in the pipe above the tub faucet?

2. If yes, is there any way to flush a cleaning solution backward through the pipes to clean it out?

3. What else should I look at?

2. krow

krow Plumber

Plumber
    Remove the shower head and flush the riser, then check for any visible debris in the sower head.

Install and check pressure again.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    did you just unscrew the head, or did you also remove its attachment to the shower arm. I had one a week ago, that cost the customer a high service charge for me to remove that piece and scrape the debris out of its screen.

5. yngwie_69

yngwie_69 New Member

Any Time you shut valves off, its a good idea to remove the Aerators and flush the line out first

6. django5

django5 New Member

I am having a similar problem as the OP and posted a thread about this----did you find a solution?