Pressure balancing manifold for shower head and handheld sprayer out of CPVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephenson

Reaction score
So, framing for shower going up this weekend ...will be laying out for wall shower, ceiling shower and handheld. I can probably build the manifold out of copper, but was considering CPVC since the 3/4" supply is CPVC.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

Stephenson

Reaction score
OK ... So here's what have been asked to do ...fixed shower head in front, a rain shower head, and about 5 feet away, a handheld for seated operation (don't need to control water temp, and will only need to be operated when main valve is on). Looks like several companies offer thermostatically controlled valves that will allow a variety of selectable positions, but are operated from the main valve ...I'm having hard time figuring which valves to make my configuration work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You need a "multiport" diverter valve connected to the main valve. This will allow you to select the device you desire, after turning on the water. The temperature AND volume selection is done at the main valve, NOT the diverter. For aesthetic purposes, you will usually select a main valve from the same manufacturer, and design series.

Stephenson

Reaction score
Thanks ....Kohler has a high flow main valve and a multi diverter selector valve ...on the line going to the handheld (leg shaving assistance device), since there will be a seat on opposite end, can I run it through a volume valve so it doesn't operate until seated and turned on? (The rain shower will be paired with it)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some main valves do not like a separate on/off valve after them. You need to read the spec sheet carefully. Pretty much every valve manufacturers make multiport diverter valves with matching trim...you are by no means confined to Kohler. Generally, Kohler stuff is well made, but finding repair parts may be restricted to waiting for the factory since they have no main design...nearly everything is unique, where most other companies use a few internal designs, and then offer a bunch of different trim to fit to them. IOW, when, not if, you ever need repair parts, be prepared to wait, sometimes a long time.

Stephenson

Reaction score
Jadnashua, thanks ...I spoke with Kohler rep yesterday and she said could not use a standard volume control ...didn't know why, but checked and only would say another main valve circuit would be needed. Seems to infer what you are saying ...I initially thought the diverter would simply pressurize the line, to the handheld while the rain shower was operating?

Stephenson

Reaction score
So, continued to look for someone who had done what I wanted to do initially, prior to jadnashua's timely comment ...the Moen solution is apparently only 1/2" inlet vs the Kohler (2971) which is 3/4" - Moen also requires copper sweat connection (no issues doing this, but plumbing is CPVC so would be easier to use the Kohler (NPT with CPVC ends). Also isn't clear from the Moen explanation if it will alway as broad mix of selections as the Kohler.

Think have talked client (wife) into the cleaner installation and she can get used to the hand held squirting her n the butt as she selects rain shower and hand held :)

Stephenson

Reaction score
Change 53 .... wife decided doesn't want rainshower ... several friends have and don't like ... so, the same Kohler valving will work, but is there a better option since is simpler, now?

Stephenson

Reaction score
My other post same topic has fuller explanation, but I ended up using Thermo valve with two diverters, one for fixed shower head and one for back wall handheld.

Thermo valve was 3/4" and I ran 3/4" CPVC as far as possible, them reduced to 1/2" and connected up to drop els. Pretty good pressure with both open even with well vice city water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks