Pressur Test Bathroom DWV System

Users who are viewing this thread

cava0035

Reaction score
I'm putting 5lbs of pressure on the system. How long should it hold? After about 5 minutes it goes to about 4.5 lbs. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks,

Brian

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It is possible that the initial loss of pressure is due to cooling of the air...if you are pressurizing with air. To get much of a pressure test.. I'd put at least 10-15 psi... wait a few minutes (maybe 5) then check pressure then check again in 15 minutes to see if it lost any pressure. I'm thinking that it should hold steady for 15 minutes... If pipes are accessible and exposed you can paint or spray on soapy water at joints and plugs.... good sudsing dishwashing liquid works great.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
In Phoenix, standard the city looks for is either 10' of water head or 5lbs pressure for 15 minutes with no pressure loss...
Re-pressurize it and spray the joints with soapy water (dish soap and water works well). Any bubbles will indicate a leak... You can then fix it...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leaks

Kid's "Mr. Bubble" or similar works better because it will stick to the joint longer. Sometimes you can come back 5 minutes later and see a ball of foam at the leaking joint.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks