Power Miser 12 repair

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by aynsdad, Nov 14, 2009.

1. aynsdad

aynsdad New Member

I have a 2004 Power Miser 12 40 Gal gas water heater. This week the pilot stopped working. It seems to go out once the tank reaches peak temps. It relights immediately and heats, then goes out. My first thought was thermocouple but after seeing a parts diagram I don't think it works like that. Any ideas out there?
  2. Plumber Jim

Plumber Jim Member

It sounds like the flame arrestor is dirty. It will be a pain to clean but you need to vacuum the lint and dust from it. It is located under the heater in the center. You will have to make some kind of attachment for your vacuum.
    Here is a link http://www.broomfieldplumber.com/water_heater_fvir_cleaning.html

the top water heater picture should look close to what you have. If you are lucky you still have that black plastic screen on your and can just clean that otherwise you need to get inside behind that to vacuum the dust out.
  3. aynsdad

aynsdad New Member

Plumber Jim

Thanks. That's pretty much what a Home Depot rep told me while I was there today. Already tried it and so far so good.