Pouring self leveling cement in a bathroom with raised sole plates

Users who are viewing this thread

Mini Me

Reaction score
Not sure why the guys who framed this room where my basement bathroom is has the sole plates installed on short pieces of 2x4 leaving a gap between the concrete floor and the sole plate itself
I need to pour self leveling concrete. Do I need to let it go under these plates or not ?

Mini Me

Reaction score
This takes a lot of cautionary measures to prevent the cement from leaking into the adjacent rooms
is it really needed to use foam then caulking and then the pink stuff (sill insulation ?)

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes. Think thin pancake batter. The material is also fairly expensive, so avoiding the waste of leaks is economical.

Note that you still have to help it self-level by using a tool to break the surface tension (rake, studded roller).

Cheers, Wayne

Mini Me

Reaction score
Will a squeegee work?
I dont get what happens when it dries out. Do you leave the pink stuff there? The layer of concrete will be thinner there AND the the adherence to the underlaying concrete zero

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe on the squeegee, my experience is limited.

The various dams get removed, leaving a void in the SLC. The void is typically covered by the wallboard or baseboard, baseshoe, the toilet, etc.

I guess if you wanted to SLC without removing baseboards/trim, you could carefully undercut them all and slide in some backer rod that will stay in place. That would let the SLC extend under the baseboards and trim. Then after SLC you could go around and more carefully undercut for the finish floor thickness.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can cut away what sill tape is exposed, but don't pull on it as it will pull up the self leveler under it.. I think I saw in the video that the horizontal lap was very minimal, like it would be covered by drywall and base anyhow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks