Plumbing in outside walls

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by marcs, Feb 6, 2008.

1. marcs

marcs New Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm planning to remodel my bathroom and would like to relocate the shower head plumbing from an interior wall to an exterior wall (that way I can look out the window to admire my landscaping while taking a shower). The exterior walls are 2x6 construction, fully insulated with fiberglass insulation. The home is in new England about 30 miles NW of Boston. It can occasionally get below 0F but not often. Any chance of the pipes freezing? Would adding 1/2" pipe insulation help in addition to the wall insulation? Thanks!
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

It will depend on things we can't see. Is there tyvek on the outside, temp on inside, air / wind infilltration.

I just ripped open a 2X6 wall and repaired 2 freeze breakes last week. The breakes were up against the drywall. It was a laundry room that was not kept as warm as the rest of the house.
  3. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

In the NE, pipes in an outside wall are generally a bad idea.