Plumbing help. Groundwork

Users who are viewing this thread

Rarule

Reaction score
Hi all,
First of all, this forum has been a huge life (mostly money) saver.
A little background, we are lowering our basement floor by about 18" to add about 1000 sq. ft of livable space. egress windows etc etc. As you can imagine it cost us a lot and we eventually exceeded our budget so we decided to do the under slab plumbing ourselves. Having no prior experience in anything of this level, I did my research...went through the plumbing code etc etc ,pulled the permit and got started on my project. I have a regular 8-5 job, and I put in about 40hrs so far into this, working religiously for 3-4 hours for the past week.
All the plumbing goes into a sump pump as the floor now is going to be below the main sewer line. (grinder pump/basin and all that, makes me cringe thinking about replacing the pump, but oh well)
The bathrooms are going to be back to back with double wyes for the toilets and for the tubs. (inspector is fine using double wyes and I am taking extra care not to twist and tug at that fitting) My wife is kinda paranoid about our basement flooding and ruining everything, so I decided to add in a floor drain in each bathroom (happy wife, happy life, right? and I know the pitfalls of the p-traps drying out and the bathroom smelling, but I can always put a cap on it or something to close it off)
I am about ready to "glue" in the P-traps for the tubs and here's my question,
1)IF I wanted to put in a shower in one bath room and a tub in another, would the location of the P-trap be a problem, in other words would I have to move the P-trap to be located under the drain?
2) And I know I just can't cap off the double wye so I was wondering if I should put a "clean out" like in the picture? I was thinking that spot would be not accessible so I probably should move it by the edge of the box?
I wouldn't be offended if you guys call me stuipid and/or dumb for trying to tackle this on my own, but this is saving me about 10K. I really appreciate your guys' input.

Attachments

• 20160126_220528-1.jpg
    20160126_220528-1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 469
  • 20160126_223642.jpg
    20160126_223642.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,044

Rarule

Reaction score
Update: I decided to not glue in the traps for the tubs and just come in with a horizontal, cap it off and box it out. Now I know why those double wyes are a pain (especially for a beginner like me), add to that (2) p-traps and getting the 1/4" per foot slope is frustrating!! I almost considered cutting it off and not having a floor drain at all...took me quite a few attempts (and a lot of patience) to get it right. I think it looks good and everything slopes downhill, between 1/4"-3/16" per foot. Hopefully one of you guys will say yay or nay soon.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20160127_225757.jpg
    20160127_225757.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,099

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Why is there a "vent" between the two double Y's? In that location it serves absolutely no purpose and is strictly cosmetic. There is a reason the job would have cost you $10 Gs.

Rarule

Reaction score
HJ, that's for the back to back lavs.
going from the left of the pics, there's connection for two tubs, lavs, floor drains, toilets and then to the sump pump. I am going to vent it out through the lav and up into the main vent (above the flood level ) of the bathroom above. Am I missing something?
Thanks for the reply. :)

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like you're trying to horizontally wet vent two bathrooms?

In my jurisdiction the dry vent must be located at the uppermost fixture. In your case the bathtubs.

Also, the lavs would need a dry vent because they enter the "wet vent portion of the drain" vertically and not horizontally.

Meaning, in my jurisdiction, I would vent the bathtubs and re-vent into the dry vent for the back to back lavs or run the two dry vents up and out.

I would also be required to protect the trap seals on the floor drains with trap primers.

IF I wanted to put in a shower in one bath room and a tub in another, would the location of the P-trap be a problem, in other words would I have to move the P-trap to be located under the drain?

Yes, and yes.

I decided to not glue in the traps for the tubs and just come in with a horizontal, cap it off and box it out.
Boxing out the drain for the tubs is a good idea.

Your work looks clean. Good luck.

Rarule

Reaction score
Hi Plumber01,
Thanks for your reply.
Looks like you're trying to horizontally wet vent two bathrooms?
yes
In my jurisdiction the dry vent must be located at the uppermost fixture. In your case the bathtubs.

Also, the lavs would need a dry vent because they enter the "wet vent portion of the drain" vertically and not horizontally.

Meaning, in my jurisdiction, I would vent the bathtubs and re-vent into the dry vent for the back to back lavs or run the two dry vents up and out.

I would also be required to protect the trap seals on the floor drains with trap primers.
If my vent was going up from the wye combo, wouldn't that be sufficient for the tubs too?
Your work looks clean. Good luck.
Thanks! I did a few test runs to do the "solvent welding" etc. And yay Youtube!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks