plumbing for stand up shower

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Blanch, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Blanch

Blanch New Member

I am trying to create a second entryway into my second floor bathroom. To do so I will need to get rid of the tub/shower that is on that wall. On the opposite wall is a closet and two countertop sinks. How involved would it be to put a stand up shower where the closet is. There is already plumbing on that side of the wall. Can the shower drain just be connected to the sink drain?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It will depend on how the drain lines are run and their size. A sink drain is often 1-1/2", a shower requires 2" and each needs its own vent, which may be easy, but the drain may not.

A shower needs to be at least 900 sq inches (a very small shower) and the opening must be at least 24" wide. Unless you can provide more than this, you'll find it very constricting.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

shower

There can be a lot of work between, "There is plumbing on that side of the room", and "Can I put a shower there?" There is absolutely no way to tell how easy, hard, or impossible it will be without knowing how the house is constrcuted and how the existing plumbing is installed. And you probably won't know either answer until you open the walls and floor.