Plumbing for new washer Location

Users who are viewing this thread

Cruiser

Reaction score
Hello all,

Due to a kitchen remodel I moved our washer and dryer to a new location in a closet outside our guest bathroom. The nearest drain is in that bathroom and my plan is to run a 2" drain pipe from the washer to that drain as outlined in red dot line in photo. Does this look like I'm on the right track or am I even at the station?
010.JPG
:)

Reaction score
If the washer and bathroom sink are on the same floor, get the washer to drain into the existing san-tee of that 2" drain. That's going to be a lot easier than biting out a chunk as you desire from the 2" drain, and trying to squeeze rubber couplers into there. DIY's often forget that existing drains are often always not flexible to bend in any way.

You can also do this project in a few phases. Instead of completing the (2) and (3), cap off the tee at the (1), and try some draining. You may realize you don't even need a vent at all, because it is already using the evisting san-tee of that bathroom sink. You have nothing to lose to try this and see if the trap doesn't glug emptying out.

If tests show that (1) must be vented here, slap on an AAV there as a temporary so you can actually start using the washer. Go ahead to build your vents (2) and (3), then remove the AAV and connect it to the (1). AAV's are cheap, and work great to buy time.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Your drawing is correct.

The Canadians get away with some stuff that does not meet code in the U.S., so we have to consider this when they post to the forum.

Cruiser

Reaction score
Thank you all. The fitting at #1 is that called a sanitary tee and is its orientation correct?

Last edited:

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seeing the lav with a 2" vent is making me wonder if that 2" "drain" isn't a vent for the wc or a tub/shower.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Since it is being vented, there is NO preference between a sanitary tee, a combo, or a Y-1/8 bend, nor is any one of them a "better/best practice" than the other.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Since it is being vented, there is NO preference between a sanitary tee, a combo, or a Y-1/8 bend, nor is any one of them a "better/best practice" than the other.
That might work where you are, but a sanitary tee on its back will not be approved here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks